Wednesday, January 29, 2014


Carlos discovered _____ [fill in the blank] under a pile of shoes in the back of his grandmother's closet.


Searching the house from top to bottom was an exacting  ordeal for Carlos, more than he had wanted to take on, but one that had to be done.  He had to be thorough in his search  for  the missing  items listed in his father's will.  Not knowing where to begin, he stood frozen by the enormity of what was before him, "this house is huge," he thought, it'll take me weeks of digging and probing."  He held his hand to his forehead, feeling a headache coming on.  "I need help, but who can I trust."  

Suddenly, his cell phone rang, jangling in his pocket, he hated that sensation, it always set him n edge.  He grabbed the phone.  "Hello," he said a bit irriated.  

"Carlos," said a familiar  voice.

"Maria, hi," he said trying to appear chipper.

"Hows, it going?  Have you begun your search?"   Maria was one of the few people who knew that his lawyer had sent him on a mission to locate the missing documents and items.  "Well," he sighed heavily, taking a deep breath.  " I'm just beginning, and frankly," he said as he looked about him, "I don't know where to begin..."  The room was shrouded in white sheets, even the crystal chandalier hanging overhead was shrouded as well.  A room full of ghosts standing sentinel.  He shuddered at the thought of fourteen rooms of this.

"Listen Carlos," said Maria, getting his attention.  "What say I come over there tomorrow, and make a plan of attack.  Actually we can kill two birds with one stone.  We'll begin the process of weeding things out for the estate sale, and we'll hopefully locate the items you need.  Whatya think? she asked sounding positive as if this would be the easiest task ever.

Carlos appreciated Maria's enthusiasm,  her sweet personality, beauty and charm,  with her on his side, he felt like he could conquer any task set before him.  They would soon be married and he would have her support for a life time.  He is a lucky man and he knows it.  They made a good team.

"Actually," he said drawing in his breath, "that would be wonderful.  This is all s overwhelming for me.  I didn't expect him to die so soon after my mom.  I feel stuck, orphaned,  and full of grief and remorse that I wasn't here for him..."

"I understand Carlos, what you're feel is all part of the grieving process.  You go through it, don't rush, just take your time.  You know I'm here for you."  She could see him there in her minds eye, tall, handsome, with his dark brooding features, feeling lost and alone.  "I'll fly out and meeting you at the airport tomorrow afternoon.  Pick me up"

"Yeh, sure, it'll be good to see you, I miss you.  We'll stay my hotel.  I don't want to be here at the house, not right now anyway."

"I'll see you tomorrow, try not to worry, we'll get through this together."

He ended the call feeling relieved that the calvary is on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment